Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ashley's First Day of School

Ashley had her first day of school yesterday.  She was picked up by the bus, right in front of our house.

She certainly didn't mind the bus ride...
 Hope and I met her at school.  She needed to take the bus because I wasn't going to be able to push her in the wheelchair and Hope in the stroller at the same time.  Ashley's EA met her at school and brought her in to meet her fellow classmates.  Then Ashley started crying, and crying, and crying!  She was miserable most of the afternoon, and I spent the whole time explaining different techniques to try and calm her (which didn't work).  It was rather stressful, and I think some of the other little girls wanted to cry, right along with her.  Not a great first impression!  I am going to school with Ashley each afternoon this week, until the staff is comfortable with her seizures and posturing...and crying apparently. 

Hope will come to school too, and unlike Ashley, she loves it.  She smiled and coo'd the whole time.  After all this activity, I'm sure this baby will be wanting to join in the fun too! 

I left Ashley's school early, so that I would be home to meet Brodie who gets off the bus at 3:40pm.  He was excited to beat Ashley home, so that he could see her get off the bus at 4pm.  He gave her lots of hugs and then read her a story on the front step (during which, she cried some more!).  My best guess is that she's tired and wants to sleep, but the seizures are keeping her awake.  She didn't sleep much last night either, and has been horribly uncomfortable all morning, so I'm not anticipating a good afternoon at school.  Oh well, it will give them an accurate picture of what she's like on a bad day.

2 comments:

Nichole said...

Wow, what a huge, huge step! Congrats Ashley on your first day of school! Praying that she will settle in and enjoy this new experience.

Kim said...

That is a big day for Ashley...how exciting. Like Nichole said, I hope that she settles in soon and gets to enjoy the experience. So cute that Hope likes it too!