Saturday, January 8, 2011

Better!

 Hope is better.  This may not surprise you, and it doesn't really surprise me either, but there is something surprising about the fact that she gets so very sick and then bounces back each time with no antibiotics.  This vomitting episode came so quickly after the last one, that we were caught by surprise.  Each of these episodes brings a heightened awareness of the fact that Hope and Ashley will not live very long.  Every time Hope begins vomitting and then the vomitt becomes bloody, we 'hold our breath' wondering if this will be it.  Is this the inevitable downhill slide. 

When I moved Hope to her bed one night, she stopped breathing and her lips turned blue, she gasped for breath a couple times during the 3 or 4 minutes her lips were blue, then settled and eventually started breathing regularly again.  It was totally random and who knows why she did that, but it didn't really surprise me either.  As I willed her to breath, I held her hand and stroked her head feeling completely helpless and vulnerable.  I prayed for her to have a peaceful death and if possible that we could be with her when she dies.  I prayed that whatever support our family would need, would be met because I don't know how to prepare for that day. 

Once she pinked up again, I got back to work and prayed that I would remember to make time to have a special moment with each girl more often because it is too easy to get busy and stay busy.  Then I carried on because Alex was gone with Brodie to hockey and I needed to get meds and feedings and diapers done before it was time to feed the baby. 

This may seem odd to some, but not to me.  Not when I've been faced with these moments for over five years.  This is my normal and I'm not sharing this to get sympathy, I'm actually finding that I process things better when I talk about them.  So, here I am...talking...to you!  Thanks for listening.




10 comments:

Jenn said...

Even though I have two healthy children, at any point in time things could change. But I always hope that if my children die before I do that I'm with my children till the very end. But not only give your girls special moments but too all your children... You just never know. Your strength is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Me again, just letting you know that your writing serves many paths. You and your family are a source of every spiritual gift put into action, love, joy, peace,
patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness
and self control.

Prayers
Brenda

Elise said...

Thanks for sharing such a private, painful moment. It helps me to know how to pray for and support your family. Please keep sharing these things! Love you.

Anonymous said...

Jolene and Alex, I just read Brenda's comment and her words are my thoughts exactly--Your writing is such a great testimony-to so many.
Lots of love, thoughts and Prayers to you from us--Johnny and Helen

Judith said...

So glad that you can use the blog as an outlet, Jolene. In some small way, may we be of comfort as we get to share your struggle with you.

We have all the pics you gave us at Christmas and Nathalie keeps reminding me every day that "this is Ashley with no teeth - and she's going to get new teeth". In the eyes of a 4 year old, teeth are obviously a high priority!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jolene,

I followed you back from my blog, I hope you don't mind. I'm Karen Smith, Joel's mom.

Here is my email You don't have to contact me, but I'd love to connect with you, if you are ever up for it. I just related so much to your last blog posting. I'm glad you found my blog so that I could find yours.

Karen Smith
Joel's mom
rainbows&earthquakes.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it Jolene. I have been sick for a little over a week and feeling sorry for myself. I am sitting here now with tears running down my face wondering how you and Alex always seem to find the strength to carry on. Know you are always in my thoughts and prayers.
Marie McConnell

auntyanita said...

Jolene, thankyou for sharing, my thoughts & prayers are with you, you & Alex are doing an amazing job. Blessings on you tenfold today.

Anonymous said...

Jolene,
You are truly amazing and your spirit inspires me. Reading your blog keeps me grounded, focused and always striving to be a better person.
Thank you for sharing your journey..
Lots of love
Sally

Louise said...

Thank you for sharing your feelings with us. It touched my heart deeply. My prayers are with you always. Also loved the pics of your girls together.
Love
Louise