Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Rehab Centre for Children

Yesterday we spent the day at Rehab Centre for Children.  It was a clinic day, which meant we were there from 9:45am till 3:00pm.  We fit in six appointments.  In the pic below, you can see Ashley in her new wheelchair.  This was the inital fitting, and because it still needs some work, we did not get to bring the chair home yet.  Hopefully, we'll get it in a couple weeks.


Since Alex is travelling again, I recruited my mom and Brodie to help me for the day.  Brodie was excited because he loves the pinball machine in the toy room at the centre (unfortunately it was out-of-order, but he had fun anyway).  There was no way I was going to be able to push three strollers and 2 standers.  Although I often contemplate how I could do it on my own.  Then I start having visions of creating some sort of wagon system, where I connect all the wheelchairs and pull with all my strength.  Then I recognize the truth of this situation and humbly accept the fact that I need help.


We had a great day at the Centre and all the kids did great.  Mira slept peacefully in her stroller and woke up for her feeding, after which Brodie was happy to hold her while Mom helped me.  Ashley slept most of the morning, and Hope smiled through everything.  I brought a lunch and snacks along, so we had a little picnic at noon.  My favorite appointment days happen at RCC because it is all very practical and helpful.  The atmosphere is pleasant, relaxed and it's easy to spend the day there.  The team approach is what I like in particular.  Everyone shares ideas and the best solutions are found this way.

Children's Rehabilitation Foundation is the fundraising arm of the Centre.  If you remember one of my postings in September showed us during the taping of an interview for the Foundation.  I was given a disc of the finished product and it is amazing.  I'll be sharing the link when I get it.  I can't wait to show you and encourage you to consider the Foundation when you decide where your donations will go this year.


Ashley has grown so much that she is having a new stander built for her.  Hope's stander is being adjusted for length as well.  The KidKart (which was donated by the Foundation), is now adjusted for Hope because she will use it now that Ashley is getting a new wheelchair.  Doesn't Hope look nice in her KidKart (above)?

 When we were at feeding clinic, it was decided that Hope is a little 'pudgy' around the middle and we will decrease her feeding a bit.  Isn't that surprising, considering all the vomitting she does?

Then we met with Dr. MacPherson to address orthopedic concerns.  Hope is great and needs nothing, but Ashley's spine is very twisted, and we find it hard to position her properly.  The plan is to make a special brace for her back, which will wrap around her rib cage and give her support.  This will involve a few more appointments.

By the way, thank you for the supportive comments following my last blog entry.  It is a very good thing to be able to share a little of the emotional side of this journey.  Seriousely, it was a very good thing for me, so I may let loose again in the future.  Watch out!

2 comments:

Joan said...

Jolene the amazing mom, organized a very eventful day, surprising me with a packed lunch, drink & starbucks! I love going to Rehab for Children, you see such positive things happen for children. Everyone is friendly & helpful.The building is one of the big, old majestic ones that i love.

Michelle W. said...

I struggle asking for help too, thinking I can do it all by myself. I cant imagine how many trips it would have taken you to do it all by yourself. So glad you had some help!