Thursday, June 2, 2011

As expected

Hope is progressing as expected.  She was vomitting steadily till about 1pm.  Around 2:30pm I decided I would try one med because she had a lull in the vomitting and I really hate to see her seizures escalating.  Very slowly, one millilitre at a time, I gave one medication.  She kept it down.  At 3pm, I tried the second seizure med, which took me about 30 minutes to give (because I give it very slowly, kind of 'sneaking' it into her tummy).  At 4pm I thought her stomach was doing fairly well, but at 4:30pm she vomitted some yucky stuff that was full of old blood.  So, I waited some more.  This evening she only had a little puke.  Therefore, I am going to assume that she kept most of her evening meds down (although it is only 9:20pm and I'm sure she could still prove me wrong).  If she does well tonight, I'll start water in the morning.  We also use a few non-stomach meds to help with the vomitting.  Olanzepine wafers which dissolve in the mouth and should be absorbed (if she would stop puking and drooling and spitting), and a Scopolamine patch which is commonly used for motion sickness.  I don't actually think either of them help, but it's nice to try something.

These episodes follow a similar progression each time, and the main concern is that her kidneys will tolerate the dehydration involved and that she won't aspirate and get pneumonia.  Actually, the main concern is her comfort, and I am so glad that she still appears content and relaxed (in between seizures and vomitting of course).  I'm praying that she'll sleep tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm praying that she'll sleep tonight too...
love, jodi

Amanda said...

I truly admire your strength and commitment to your children. You are an amazing woman & mother. <3 Keeping you and Hope and your family in my thoughts.