Thursday, September 8, 2011

Funeral Message

I know some of you will agree with me, that Father Phil's message at Hope's funeral was perfect.  I would really like to remember more of it.  So, I'm going to summarize what I found meaningful and if any of you would share what you remember, then we might be able to get an accurate summary of his message.

The scripture reading was taken from Matthew 18

"At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"  He called a child, whom he put among them, and said, "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.  Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me."

"Take care that you do not despise one of these little ones;  for, I tell you, in heaven their angels continually see the face of my Father in heaven.  What do you think?  If a shepherd has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray:  And if her finds it, truly I tell you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray.  So it is not the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones should be lost."

I feel kind of funny trying to summarize a sermon, but here it goes.  Father Phil emphasized our need to be dependent on God.  When Jesus told his disciples to 'be humble like this child', we need to remember that children in that time were marginalized in society.  Children were often considered a burden that had to be fed and taken care of, a member of society that contributed nothing until they were older.  Small children were completely dependent on others for survival and therefore, held little value. 

How hard is it, for us to be completely dependent?  It is almost impossible.   We think we can take care of ourselves and we generally do a good job of it.  In fact, we feel rather proud of our accomplishments.  Jesus is telling the disciples, 'be humble', not proud...'like this child', completely dependent.  How many saints in the past have strived to grow closer to God?  We know how much of a struggle it is to change our value system and find value in our dependence (ie. trust in God), instead of value in our accomplishments.

And then, there is Hope (and Ashley), our child who was dependent in the extreme.  In our society today, one could say she did not contribute, she never gave anything, she only took and some might say she was a burden.  I know that some might say, and probably have said, that it is better for her to die.  Some people may feel relief that she has died, because the 'burden' has lifted.  But in the eyes of Jesus, she was/is a saint.  She was completely dependent on us, physically, and on God, spiritually.  She did nothing to earn heaven, and is now found perfect in the presence of God.  She has 'accomplished' more than most of us, ever will, in the eyes of God.

Now for my own words (although I'm sure my own words came through in the above summary).  I've spent six years, trying to help people see that my 'special' girls have value; that the work involved does not make them a burden; that it is not better for them to die; and that we can all love them just as they are.  Father Phil's homily at Hope's funeral, spoke the message on my heart, and I am grateful.

"be humble like this child"





5 comments:

the NC Froese's said...

Jolene,

How fortunate for all your children that you realize that value in them for simply being created in God's image! You are an insightful & loving mother. I have the utmost admiration & respect for you as a person & spiritual mentor.

Thanks for your summary of Hope's funeral service & for sharing your insights.

Judith said...

You nailed it Jolene. Fr. Phil said it exactly like that - and isn't that what we say when we pray "give us this day our daily bread"? The Our Father asks us to pray to depend on God to look after us. I think he wants us to realize that all things come from God, through the Grace of God and not through our hard work or luck. "With God on our side, who can be against?"

Cathy LaFleche said...

Ashley and Hope; pray for us!

Lisa said...

those words move me. I have followed your blog for some time and reading your words today compelled me to leave a comment. Fr. Phil described it beautifully....perfectly. Your daughters are both saints and you, her parents are undeniably amazing human beings. I pray for peace for you and for the memories of your girls to fill your heart forever more. Knowing that they have found their place in heaven and are being held by our Father. Be well, Lisa :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the sermon. Love to your family, Ida