Sunday, September 4, 2011

Simple things

I'm finding myself grateful for simple things.  A walk outside; the sound of the wind in the trees; the giggles that come out of Brodie and Mira as they play.  There are many soothing sounds here, in the midst of the frequent rememberings.  I get it, that I have to walk through these memories.  I understand that it's a hard time.  I just didn't expect the 'bombardment'.  Tiny little moments that drift through my awareness as I move about the house, constantly reminding me that my 'special' girls are not here anymore.  After the first couple hundred of these moments, you start feeling a little fragile, and maybe a little crazy.  And then I take a moment to give thanks.  Yep, I can find just as many 'thankfullness' items, and I might as well balance the sad with the praise. 

A wonderful friend/cousin gave me a book after Hope's funeral, and it is about giving thanks.  It is the most meaningful, thoughtful and well-timed gift I have ever recieved.  I am reading it slowly.  I might share some here, another time.  For now, I will continue what I have to do and hopefully, remember to give thanks as I go.

This morning, I was struck by the incredible blessing of big blue eyes staring at me.  Staring at me with intent and focus, ready to follow my movement, just waiting...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

jolene,
i haven't stopped thinking about you and praying that you feel God near as you live out your "new normal." i thought i'd pass along a list of favorite books from another mom i've been praying for this past year - she lost her youngest daughter, rachel, on august 5, 2011.
take good care of yourself, jodi

Books on Grief/Tough Issues:
- "A Grace Disguised" by Jerry Sittser
- "What Good is God?" by Phillip Yancey
- "Yearning: Living Between How It is and How It Ought to Be" by M.Craig Barnes
- "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp


True Stories:
- "Choosing to See" by Mary Beth Chapman
- "Shaming the Strong" by Sarah C. Williams
- "I will Carry you" by Angie Smith
- "Waiting with Gabriel" by Amy Kuebelbeck
- "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo


Fiction (but full of truth):
- "40 Weeks" by Paige Beselt
- "The Magician's Nephew" by C.S.Lewis (and all of the Narnia books as well!)
- "Tear Soup" by Pat Schwiebert and Chuck DeKlyen


Devotional:
- "The One Year Book of Hope" by Nancy Guthrie

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you Jolene & Alex,love from Anita
She does have beautiful eyes.

Michelle W. said...

Big hugs and love to you. Beautiful photo.

Michelle W. said...

Big hug and love to you. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful photo!