Saturday, September 24, 2011

Happy Birthday Mira!

One year ago today, we welcomed Mira into this world with joy and a little trepidation (not knowing what would come).  Seven days later, we recieved the message on our voicemail stating that the genetic testing was negative for Adenylosuccinase Lyase Deficiency.  I will never forget the awe filled joy and wonder that encompassed my every waking moment as I began to dream again.  I held her and saw my baby, who I already loved but this time I could see a future.  I could see future smiles and words, even walking and running.  I cried when I realized that I could anticipate her little arms reaching for me with a hug.  I cried more when I thought of Brodie helping her play catch and of Alex, hearing the word 'Daddy' from his little girl.

It felt like an awakening.  I had carefully put those thoughts, dreams and expectations to rest with Ashley and again with Hope.  But after Hope came our Mira...yes, our Miracle.  And with Mira, I felt the familiar thoughts and dreams that come with a new baby, but this time I could let those thoughts flow, open that gift and anticipate future milestones.

As I sit here today, feeling emotionally spent and a little exhausted, I am so glad that we were able to have a little party to celebrate.  Mira, you are one year old today.  We love you!





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mira from Johnny and Helen

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Mira is already a year old! AMAZING how time goes by. Sending hugs and kisses from the Lauze's. Happy 1st Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Jolene you write so beautifully - brings tears to my eyes. Your little miracle is so cute, and I still can't wait to meet her some time.
Lila

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Mira! Thanks for sharing these pictures! I always say this, but Brodie looks so grown up and old! I'm glad you could celebrate a happy milestone today. Love, Elise

the NC Froese's said...

Happy birthday Mira! Jo, so glad you can keep dreaming with both Mira & Brody! Looks like you had a fun birthday celebration!

Love,
ANge

Lauren C. said...

Hello, my child (4months) was just diagnosed with ASLD. Would love to get some information from you. Please if you would mind helping me, email me at lauren122885@hotmail.com

Thank u! Lauren

Anonymous said...

Did you say a "LITTLE" party?! Looks like a LOT of work (but you're used to that, no?) Take care and see you next year! Helen M.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mira.
From Brenda & Ken