Monday, December 5, 2011

One Year ago...

One Year ago, our house was a LOT busier...
(Dec. 4th, 2010)

And it wasn't a bad thing...
(Dec. 4th, 2010)

I still feel like the girls are gone on a really long respite weekend.  I see these pics and automatically think of cuddles with my girls, and then feel the bewilderment of their absense.
(Dec. 6th, 2010)

Isn't it strange that it's taking so long for this new reality to sink in?  I know I find it easy to distract myself with Mira and Brodie.  But then, I find it hard to believe that Mira is one year older too!
(Dec. 5th, 2010)

I often feel like the past year didn't happen.  I keep saying, "Mira, it's your first snowfall" or "Mira, it's your first hockey game", and then realize that I'm wrong...last year did happen, and Mira was here for it.  Was I that busy, that I just can't bring the past year into my consciousness?  Or am I avoiding?!  Who knows.

I am finding it hard to write anything here, on the blog.  I am finding that grief is not a pretty thing to share.  It's not encouraging, or joyful, or hopeful.  It's not even that interesting, in my opinion.  I don't like to write about the fluctuating emotions, or about the energy it takes to be with people.  I still like to be with people, but it takes everything I've got, and then I need to recover and just be alone.  That's not what I'm used to, and I'm still learning how to balance on this teeter-totter of relief vs. grief. 

It's a very different time for us, and a lot of my remembering is not very positive.  I look at the pictures above and realize that we were preparing for our worst Christmas ever.  I didn't even know it was that bad at the time, I just dealt with it.  I find myself unwilling to sugar-coat anything anymore, so here it goes. 

When we left for Brandon (one of many family gatherings), we knew that Hope probably had pneumonia.  We left our home, knowing that she might not make it through the weekend.  We brought all our emergency meds, and the "Letter of anticipated death", which we would need so that we would not have to call the ambulance if Hope died at the hotel.  We drove the two and a half hours with disposable blue pads tucked around Hope, and the suction machine at the ready, so that we could help clear her secretions and puke before she choked on them.

We made it to the hotel, and as I sent Alex off to a hockey game, I told him we would manage just fine.  Then Ashley started puking.  It took a couple hours, but with my mom's help we got the 4 kids settled, cleaned up, meds given, and then I could feed the baby and go to sleep.

The next morning, I got up early because I was determined to have a better day.  After getting Mira and myself fed and dressed, I took my time with Ashley.  I enjoyed getting her dressed in her pretty outfit, settling her in her chair, and doing her hair.  Feeling positive and looking ahead to a nice breakfast in the hotel, I turned to Hope.  Then I heard it...the sound of vomitting.  I turned back to Ashley and saw that she had vomitted everywhere, and it wasn't stopping.  This was not a normal thing for Ashley, I just couldn't believe it.  Seriously, I was ready to give up and throw a tantrum.

Now, I probably shouldn't write anymore about it.  The weekend didn't get any better.  Ashley got pneumonia next, and Brodie took an iron gate in the face that weekend, which probably needed stitches, but I didn't have the energy to take him to emerg.  He still has a scar to remind me of that weekend.  But I don't care about a little scar.  I am sharing my hurt.  Because that weekend was a perfect example of how hard I tried to have a 'normal, fun' time, like everyone else...and how impossible it was. 

At one point, I gave up trying and just sat on the floor of that hotel room, nursing my baby, eating my slice of pizza...alone..., while my sick girls lay on the bed behind me.

I hate whining, and that's what it sounds like, doesn't it?  I am sitting here, staring at what I just wrote, knowing that it shows how much I hurt right now.  But do you see that?  Do you see that I am hurting because I realize that it was never possible.  I could never make my family function like other families.  I couldn't relax and visit like everyone else, what was I thinking!  I thought that I could work really hard, really fast and get up really early, so that I could get my kids ready all by myself, just like other parents.  Then go to breakfast, the whole family (NOT leave my girls behind yet again), and enjoy a meal out in a restaurant which never happened anymore because of how sick the girls had become. 

Why did I even go?  Because I wasn't ready to give up on life.  If I didn't get my family out there, in the real world, in real family activities and gatherings, then we would be alienated even more.

This isn't about the girls.  I love them still, and will praise God for their time in our lives, at every opportunity.  This is about me.  This is truth, that I have not shared very often.  This is the truth of my experience, at one moment of the journey.  As I write this I am crying, because it is hard to recognize some things.  Perhaps, I should have stopped trying so hard for someone else's 'normal' and just stayed home to enjoy our 'normal'.

That's what sucks about grief, you just keep rethinking and regretting.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have followed your blog for quite some time now and am amazed at the journey you have been through. God gave you such an incredible blessing and gift in the lives of your children, all 4 of them. I have followed you through this journey as you have wrote of your trials, of your joys, of your triumphs and now of your grief and I must say that I have seen a woman of great strength, of courage and of vulnerability. Please don't have regrets of trying to create a "normal" life. If given the chance, I know many of us would do things differently. We seen things we should have, could have or wouldhave done differently but at the given time , in the given place, we thought that was the best thing to do. As they say, looking back, our vision becomes 20/20.

Please give yourself permission to grieve, to complain, to celebrate, to laugh, to whine if you need to (I don't think you were whining!). You have been through so much in the last few years and now is a time for you to rest. Enjoy today. Enjoy Brodie. Enjoy Mira. Enjoy remembering. It is ok to cry. KNow that others are better becu=ause of your honesty, because of your journey. Thank you for sharing your story, your journey.

Chrisy said...

I check everyday to see if you have updated your blog - I have no profound words of hope or enlightenment, but I just want to say thanks for letting us walk through this journey with you. I pray that today would bring some form of special encouragment your way. You are an amazing Mother - that is obvious :)

elvira said...

I just love you Jolene!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this Jolene, another step on your path of grieving. I didn't hear whining, I heard sadness - the kind that comes from looking back and feeling the pain that you felt then all over again. Sending you a big hug, and a reminder that you are a wonderful mother who always did the very best she could.

Kristal XO

Anonymous said...

You are being honest with us and that's hard on you but it means a lot to us that you have shared this. You are feeling regret and remorse for things you have done, but it just endears you to us more. You did an amazing job and still managed to smile and enjoy all of us relatives. Jolene, know in your heart that your reward in heaven will be great. I will pray tonight that God will still those thoughts of remorse and guilt and give a spirit of peace. Love you Anita

Anonymous said...

Jolene, YOU are amazing. You find the words that many of us don't take the time to find. I know your grief is that ache of that starts at the back of your throat and goes to your heart. I have felt the questions that you ask yourself - "did I do enough." The answer is YES. You did all you could. Your actions and decisions were smart, balanced and took incredible integrity to make. You are an amazing mother, wife and friend. Now is time for you to heal. The time will come when you will accept that you did all you could. That the normal that you created in even the toughest situations - was good. There is a time and a purpose for everything. We don't need to know why all at once. Just breathe, and take one day at a time. You are not whining - you are grieving. Your pain is real. Don't deny yourself this time to rest, reflect and in time you will heal.

Love you.
Karin

Anonymous said...

The truth is you are an AMAZING mother. Don't ever forget that. We all have times when we wish that we could have done things differently, it's normal...but in the scheme of things, don't ever forget the most important thing..you gave your children the unconditional love that they needed and deserved. No regret over things you wished had been done differently could ever compare to this. Unconditional love for your children means everything - you fed their souls with exactly what they wanted and needed. You have such courage and strength, always remember that. We want to know how you feel, and we want you to know that you have our love and support. WE are all out here, praying for you, and keeping your family close to our hearts.
With Love,
Sally

Elise said...

You were and are and will always be an amazing mother, wife and person. I'm thinking of you so much today and praying for peace in your home and heart. Love, Elise

Anonymous said...

Jolene
I have not been on your blog for a while but something made me doit today. Reading your thoughts reminds me that everytime I came to visit you always had a smile on your face. I'm sure at times that was the last thing you feltlike doing. I remember when Morley was dying, he asked me once I could be so strong through it all. He couldn't see what was going on inside. I din't want to let him see how hard I was trying to be strong for him. I did a lot of crying and wondering why was this happening to us. I could not share because I didn't want anyone to know how I was hurting. I felt myself pulling away from friends because their love and caring brougjt me to tears too easily. As you travel on through your journey know that there are soo many people that you help with your openness and love.
Thinking of you as you face this Christmas without your 2 angels.
Marie McConnell