Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Brodie's eyesight


We finished up some appointments last week regarding Brodie's eye, and it looks like we'll be going ahead with treatment starting in the middle of November. Brodie has amblyopia or 'lazy eye', and basically we have to strengthen the weak eye. His left eye has 20/20 vision, but his right eye can only read the biggest 'E' on the chart with a very strong lense to assist. Usually treatment is recommended BEFORE the age of 5, but recent studies show that it's worth attempting treatment even up to the age of 17 years old.


We're not sure that treatment will help much (according to the first optomotrist), and I'm not sure that I have the time/energy to enforce the plan, but we'll give it a try. Sighhh..... It means patching the good eye when he's not in school and wearing a strong lens on the weak eye (and if anyone tells me that this should be easy, they better get themselves over here to convince him to wear the silly patch). I'm not sure how my independent little guy is supposed to get himself breakfast when his only eye has a patch on it, in fact I'm not anticipating much fun in this adventure at all.


We'll probably figure it out just fine, and this will fade into the background with all the other 'bumps' we've encountered. So, for now, I'm not going to worry about, or even think about the work ahead with Brodie. It doesn't do any good to focus on how busy I'm going to be, so perhaps some of you could help me out with a few prayers in that direction.

3 comments:

Elise said...

Love you Jolene! You have lots on your plate and I'm praying for you!

Unknown said...

Hi Jolene,

We will continu to pray. Next week when I see you I will tell you about my lazy eye.

Big hug,
Nicole

Cathy LaFleche said...

Hi Jolene,
I just love all the pictures of the kids! Thank you so much for taking us all along on your journey. Your family is evidence of the grace of God in action, everyday,

love you all