Sunday, February 6, 2011

A friend...

Everything is fine here.  I know it's been a while, but I've just been busy with normal stuff.  Alex has been travelling a lot and my respite has diminished because two of my workers moved on to full time jobs.  So, I haven't had time to post anything.

I'm excited to tell you that I've met a special friend.  She has a child who is simlilar to my girls (different disorder though) and knows what it is like to love a child who is living with a fatal illness.  I don't have the words to explain how important it is to share an experience (and the feelings that go with it) and have another person identify with you and relate to you, because they have encountered similar situations.  But I'm sure that you can understand to a certain extent.  As new mothers, we find playgroups to meet other new moms.  As an engaged couple, we talk to other couples and ask all about their wedding experience.  Through every stage of life, we try to connect with people who are living through something that we are experiencing.  It's exciting and re-affirming and supportive.

In the past five years,  I have searched for and read any books that spoke of someones experience with their disabled/dying child.  I have checked out blogs and searched google.  I have not found anyone with a living child who has the same diagnosis as my daughters.  I have learned to rely on God to understand my unique joy and sufferings because he is the only one who truly understands.  Now I feel so blessed to have someone "with skin on" to share with.

Her name is Karen and she has a blog also, which is how we found each other.  I would encourage you to check out her blog named Rainbows & Earthquakes (there is a link at the right hand side).  Her recent post about clothes is so accurate and I echo her sentiment.  So, when you read it, you can just imagine that I am saying the same thing. 

5 comments:

auntyanita said...

Oh Jolene, i'm so happy for you, finding a friend like that is so awesome. Friends do make our lives so much richer.

Elise said...

Good to hear about. Reading her blog post was really insightful. I loved seeing Hope's funky, cute vest :)

Judith said...

Wow, Jolene, she IS going through the same stuff you are! He sure is a cute little guy!! Does the family live fairly close to you?
Glad to see Alex home - that is likely why you haven't been blogging in a while, I'm sure.
Hugs to the girls and Brodie. Have a Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Jolene said...

She's not too far (about a 30min drive). We've already met for coffee, and discovered that we have all the same doctors and health care professionals. Same pediatrician, same physio, same neurologist, ect.

Anonymous said...

so glad you found a friend. I was reading her blog, and you must be thrilled to have met a "kindred spirit".

Love Madelaine